PENN-Del Fall Meeting Minutes
September 26, 2020
PennDel Board Attendance:
- Elliot Berton, President
- Kelly Burk, At large / Kennett Area YMCA
- Ken Burk, Girls Commissioner
- Bruce Cooper, Secretary
- Bert Hewitt, Vice President-Rules
- Erik Nelson, Scheduling and Coaches Rep
- Fred Polaski, Officials Chair
- Pat Ryan, Treasurer
- Carl Sandoe, Championship Chair
- Tom Warrick, Webmaster
- Sonia Wolbert, At large / Pocono Family YMCA
- Jenn Woods, Boys Commissioner
- G. Michael Gobrecht, YMCA PA Group Representative & Head Coach West Shore YMCA
- Ambler Area YMCA, Michael Jessop, Swim Coach
- Bethlehem YMCA, John Buttillo, Swim Coach
- Bethlehem YMCA, Jacob Jones, Aquatics Director
- Bloomsburg Area YMCA, Chuck Lacroix, Head Coach
- Bloomsburg Area YMCA, Aaron McHenry, Team Representative
- Boyertown Area YMCA, Jayna Miller, Aquatics Director
- Boyertown Area YMCA, Raynelle Shirk, Head Coach
- Brandywine-PA YMCA , Seth Dippold, Head Coach
- Central Bucks Region YMCA, Tim Ryan, Head Coach
- Freeland YMCA, Sarah Machey, Head Coach
- Greater Scranton YMCA, Diana Dempsey, Team Representative
- Lansdowne YMCA, Mike Purcell, Head Coach
- Lionville Community YMCA, Matt Bramucci, Head Coach
- Lionville Community YMCA, Maria Dennin, Team Representative
- Nazareth/Easton YMCA, Dennis Drake, Head Coach
- North Penn YMCA, Bob Rawa, Head Coach
- Phoenixville Area YMCA, Sara Sadowski, Team Representative
- Pocono Family YMCA, Mike Wolbert, Head Coach
- Reading YMCA , Kimberly Evans, Head Coach
- Ridley Area YMCA, Erik Nelson, Head Coach
- Rocky Run YMCA, Clark Bickling, Head Coach
- Schuylkill YMCA, Linda Jones, Head Coach
- Upper Bucks Region YMCA, Becky Musselman, Aquatics Director
- Upper Bucks Region YMCA, Sarah Siegel, Head Coach
- Upper Main Line YMCA, Steven McLaughlin, Team Representative
- Upper Main Line YMCA, Louis Petto, Head Coach
- West Chester YMCA, Barry Smith, Head Coach
- West Chester YMCA, Miriam Khatib, Team Representative
- West Chester YMCA, Christine Scott, Team Representative
- Wilkes-Barre Family YMCA, Andrea Butchko, Aquatics Director
- Wilkes-Barre Family YMCA, Apryl
- Wilkes-Barre Family YMCA, Lori
- Willow Grove YMCA, Heidi Palau, Team Representative
- Willow Grove YMCA, Jenny DePadua, Head Coach
Call to Order: Saturday September 26, 2020 at 9:26 am
Welcome and PennDel Board Introduction: Elliot Berton called the meeting to order and had a welcome message to all in attendance. Elliot explained the zoom meeting protocols and outlined the Board's goals for the meeting. He then introduced each of the board members in attendance and their roles.
Fall 2019 Meeting Minutes: Approved by Membership. Minutes of the meeting are posted on the PD Web site.
PennDel Financial Report: Pat Ryan summarized the 2019-2020 PD Financial highlights. The season had a small Net income, so essentially a balanced budget for last year. Due to the Pandemic, the Board is unable to set a Budget for the 2020-20 Season. The Board announced that there will be no annual Team dues for this season as well as no annual championship fee.
The fee to attend a League required annual clinic was eliminated as they will all be conducted virtually and therefore have no trainer cost. Officials are expected to buy their own USA Swimming rulebooks. The Clinics this year will cover the Virtual invitational Meets as well.
YMCA Official Classes:
As of now YMCA Officials training classes will be held in person, recertification classes can be held virtually. The 5 trainers in Eastern PA and Delaware will not be teaching in person classes. As in the past the registration will take place though the LCDC and the officials will need to be associated with a YMCA.
Scheduled official certification classes and PD annual clinics are listed on the front page of the PD website.
USA Swimming Rules:
There were no changes to the technical stroke and turn rules. Coaches were reminded about the ban on technical suits by 12 & Under swimmers. This ban applies to USA Swimming sanctioned, approved, and observed meets. It does not apply to Penn Del virtual invitational meets or Penn Del Dual meets. it would apply to Divisional championships and the Hartley meet because they are approved meets. For more informant on the definition of technical suits as well as a video explanation, please visit usaswimming.org and search on Technical suits.
The Board is sponsoring virtual invitational meets for this year. Dual, Triangular or invitationals are also encouraged. USA Swimming has guidelines for Virtual meets and YMCA is following those. The meet format for the League sponsored Virtual meets will be the same for all locations and the meets may be conducted over 10 days which covers 2 weekends. There are 3 required officials, a Referee, Starter and an AO. The use of Stroke & Turn officials is recommended, if they are not available, then the Starter and referee should work as S & T officials also.
YMCA State Committee Update:
The committee is unsure of the regional end of year meets will happen in 2021. The decision-making process is influenced by guidance from National YMCA and the PA state department of health. For now, the qualifying times will remain the same as last year, swimmers will have from 9/1/2019 to qualify and virtual meets count towards closed competition. If anyone has outside-the-box ideas, please email email@example.com. One current idea is to host the regional meets later in the spring to take advantage of indoor/outdoor facilities.
The League is working on expanding the amount of information available to members online. In particular members should be registered for the PennDel website and the PennDel Facebook group. The slides from the Meeting also have YMCA websites and Facebook groups for coaches.
PDSL Web Site - Please Register! http://www.penndelswim.org/
PDSL FaceBook Page - Please Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/587761375270393
Questions and Answers:
The Board received and responded to questions posed by the representatives in attendance. Most of the questions covered details regarding the virtual meets as well as eligibility requirements and qualifying times for championship meets if they happen next spring. If anyone has further questions, or needs clarification, please reach out to a Board member.
YMCA of the USA Team registration is due now. Coach registration is free until December 1. After that date, each coach who wants to register must pay a fee. All coaches (full time, part-time and volunteer) regardless if they plan to attend a championship should be Y-USA registered and maintain current credentials throughout the season.
The Board thanked all meeting attendees as the meeting adjourned at 10:48 AM
Edited by administrator on December-16-2020 at 9:43am