PENNDEL SWIM LEAGUE
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES
April 13, 2020
Attendance: Elliot Berton, Tom Warrick, Ken Burk, Bruce Cooper, Rick Carson, Kelly Burk, Pat Ryan, Erik Nelson, Howard Halpern, Jenn Woods, Bert Hewitt, Carl Sandoe (All participation By Zoom conference)
The meeting was called to order at 6:36 pm.
Minutes: The March 9, 2020 Board of Directors Meeting Minutes were approved following some minor edits.
Impact of Pandemic: The Board discussed some of the potential impacts on both the immediate future as well potentially the beginning of the fall season.
- The Spring Meeting will be postponed until a future date. The spring meeting is usually where the Budget is approved, Board elections are completed and Rules or By-laws are amended, so these will have to wait for a future meeting. Communications on the meeting postponement will be drafted to go out to as many contacts as possible.
- Because League members and contacts may not have access to YMCA emails, all Board members are going to see if they have any alternate contact information for coaches, representatives and contacts to spread the word.
- The Board discussed some options if the season can't be started on time, such as having an abbreviated dual meet schedule, possibly eliminating championships, and readjusting divisions depending on the number of teams ready to participate come the fall.
- The Board decided that until more is known no final recommendations can be made. The League will need to be nimble and think of ways that we can make quick decisions once more is known about what will be recommended by Health officials.
- Swim Officials whose certification is expiring in the next few months should be seeing an automatic 4 month extension.
Finance: Pat Ryan reported on the balance of funds and highlighted transactions during the last month. He summarized the League expenses during the last period. The Board reviewed a draft of the proposed budget for the 2020-2021 season. The Treasurer's report was approved as presented. The Board delayed any voting on the Draft budget for next year until more can be known about the fall season and participating members.
- Rule 2.9 A and B - The Board made some edits to the draft of the proposed changes to rule 2.9 covering what Officials are required to be provided for a dual meet and who is required to source those positions. Upon completion of the edits, the Board approved the rule for presentation to the League members.
Scheduling: Scheduling for the fall season usually starts around August 1. Depending on what restrictions are in place around that time may delay scheduling of meets for the fall season. Scheduling may also be impacted by team participation or by different teams being able to resume at different times. All of this will have to be assessed as more information becomes available.
Championships: The spring and summer are generally the time where host bids for championship meets are worked on and submitted. As was discussed in the earlier part of the meeting, this will have to be postponed. When more information is known, the Board can then look at the number of teams participating, the structure of those teams and then determine what may work best for championships. One possibility could be a regional type of championship with an invitational format instead of the traditional divisional champs.
Board Transition: Rick Carson announced his resignation from the Board. He was a respected member and the other individuals all thanked him for his efforts and wished him well as he transitions away from the Board.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:32 pm.
Respectfully submitted, Bruce Cooper