Penn-Del Referee Reminder - The Checklist
Note: Coaches and Team Representatives should also read this Referee Checklist Reminder so they are aware of the procedures that Referees will follow.
This is a quick reminder for officials who perform the role of REFEREE at Penn-Del meets.
Penn-Del Board has provided a Referee Checklist that you must understand, follow, and attest to at each Penn-Del meet. This checklist is designed to cover important meet aspects that you as a Referee must obtain concurrence on and/or must review for accuracy with coaches and/or dry-side officials.
Even if you have been a referee for years, the use of the checklist is essential to make sure you have explicit decisions and reviewed all appropriate material to eliminate misunderstanding, questions and errors at the meet.
Due to several recent issues and to emphasize two items on the Referee Checklist, the referee must review the credentials of all officials and the certification of volunteers that require Penn-Del certification.
If a person is fulfilling a certified swim official or Penn-Del certified role and does not have the appropriate certification, the Referee should communicate this to the Home Team's Team Representative/Coach and ask for a replacement. It is the the Home Team's responsibility to fill all certified roles with certified volunteers (regardless as to the associated team of the volunteer - Home Team, Visitor Team, or Other Team).
If a certified volunteer can not be secured, the referee should decide how best to handle the meet staffing with the available people. If the referee must run the meet with one or more uncertified people, the referee should note this on the referee checklist and/or meet paperwork. Penn-Del commissioners will make the decision as to how to handle the resulting situation from a Penn-Del rules perspective.
- Referee ï¿½ Certified YMCA Level II official. Penn-Del certification is required
- Starter ï¿½ Certified YMCA Level II Official or USA-S certified Official. Penn-Del certification is not required
- Stroke and Turn Judges ï¿½ Certified YMCA Level I or Level II official. USA-S certified official is acceptable. Penn-Del certification is not required
- Admin Official ï¿½ Certified YMCA or USA-S Admin Official ï¿½ YMCA level II certification is acceptable. Penn-Del certification is required
- Hy-Tek MeetManager Operator ï¿½ Penn-Del certification is required
- Lane Timer ï¿½ No certifications required
- Timing Console Operator ï¿½ No certifications required
- Place Judge - No certifications required
- Runner ï¿½ No certifications required
- Announcer ï¿½ No certifications required