2019 Penn-Del Fall Meeting Minutes
September 21, 2019
PENN-DEL BOARD ATTENDANCE:
- Elliot Berton, President
- Bert Hewitt, Vice President
- Tom Warrick, Webmaster
- Fred Polaski, Officials
- Ken Burk, Girls Commissioner
- Jenn Woods, Boys Commissioner
- Eric Nelson,Scheduling and Coaches Rep
- Kelly Burk, At large
- Sonia Wolbert, At large
MEMBERSHIP ATTENDANCE (All teams were represented)
- Ambler Area YMCA: Michael Jessop, Team Administrator
- Bethlehem YMCA: Jacob Jones, Assistant coach
- Bloomsburg Area YMCA: John Madden, Not registered on web site
- Boyertown Area YMCA: Raynelle Shirk, Head Coach
- Brandywine-DE YMCA: Mike Jumps, Not registered on web site
- Brandywine-PA YMCA: Seth Dippold, Head Swim Coach
- Doylestown YMCA: Tim Ryan, Competitive Director of Aquatics
- Freeland YMCA: Sarah Machey, Head Swim Coach AND Thomas Pollock, Team Rep
- Greater Scranton YMCA: Natalie Wasilchak, Not registered on web site
- Jennersville YMCA: Mary Alice Miller, Head Coach
- Kennett Area YMCA: Kelly Burk, Head Swim Coach
- Lansdowne YMCA: Mike Purcell, Head Coach
- Lionville Community YMCA: Owen Edwards, Aquatic Director/Coach
- Nazareth/Easton YMCA: Dennis Drake, Head Swimming Coach
- North Penn YMCA: Bob Rawa, Head Coach
- Phoenixville Area YMCA: Sara Sadowski, Not registered on web site AND Joanne Frey, Not registered on web site
- Pocono Family YMCA: Mike Wolbert, Swim Team Director AND Sonia Wolbert, Swim Team Director
- Quakertown YMCA: Sarah Siegel, Head Coach AND April Ferrandino, Not registered on web site
- Reading YMCA: Kim Evans, Head Coach
- Ridley Area YMCA: Erik Nelson, Assn. Competitive Aquatic Director
- Rocky Run YMCA: Clark Bickling, Head Coach
- Schuylkill YMCA: Linda Jones, Head Coach
- Upper Main Line YMCA: Louis Petto, Head Swim Coach
- West Chester YMCA: Barry Smith, Not registered on web site
- Western YMCA: Wiktor Serafin, Not registered on web site
- Wilkes-Barre Family YMCA: Suzanne Youngblood, Head Swim Coach AND Andrea Butchko, Aquatics Director
- Willow Grove YMCA: Jenny Depadua, Head Coach AND Heidi Palau, Team Rep
CALL TO ORDER: Saturday September 21, 2019 at 9:35 am
SPRING MEETING MINUTES: Approved by Membership. Minutes of the meeting are posted on the PD Web site
PENN-DEL BOARD: It was announced that Bob Heeber stepped down from the Board and retired from his position at his YMCA, Tri-Valley. Tri-Valley will not be fielding competitive swim teams this season
PENN-DEL BUDGET: Elliot summarized the 2019-2020 PD Budget which was approved at the Spring Membership meeting. The budget features no changes to the annual Team dues or the Championship fees. The fee to attend a League clinic was increased from $10 to $15 to cover the cost of trainers' travel. The budget projects a $1,400 deficit, part of a deliberate effort to reduce funds in the League bank account.
DIVERSITY and INCLUSION: The Y-USA National Diversity and Inclusion Statement was reviewed. In addition, the PD Board explained how the League will address gender identity issues (e.g. boys who identify as girls and girls who identify as boys).
- For an athlete to participate in a PD scheduled/sponsored swim meets, the athlete must be eligible under PD rules, which address YMCA membership and team affiliation. Each PD member YMCA determines its own policies around inclusion and program participation. PD will respect the policy decisions made by PD member YMCAs relating to the inclusion of an athlete in its swimming program.
- All swimmers will compete based on the gender stated in the roster submitted to PD by the swimmer's YMCA
- Suit rules apply based on the gender of the event being swum. Suit exceptions can be requested as specified in the US Swimming Rules
- Each PD member YMCA is responsible to communicate with other PD member YMCAs and, in the case of swimming-related needs, the referee of the meet about an athlete requiring special considerations and/or accommodations. The PD member YMCA are also encouraged to copy the President of PD as an FYI-only so that PD is aware of any athleteï¿½s special accommodations and/or considerations.
PD LEAGUE YMCA CHANGES: The following changes were communicated.
- Hatboro YMCA changed its name to Willow Grove YMCA. In addition, Willow Grove facility has a location. Pool locations remains at Abington High School
- Central Bucks YMCA name changed to Doylestown YMCA
- Upper Bucks YMCA name changed to Quakertown YMCA
PD DUAL MEET SCHEDULE: Erik announced that the dual meet schedule is complete and will be loaded on the PD website shortly. In appreciation for all of Erikï¿½s hard work on the schedule, he received applause from all attendees. 😊
DIVISIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS AND DISTANCE MEETS: The hosts for each of the division championships were announced.
As has happened in the past, there were a limited number of bids for Championships and the Distance Meets. Carl worked with various YMCA representatives to establish hosts for each of the 5 Divisional Championships and the two Distance Meets.
During the discussion, the Board recommended that teams in each division should work thru the details of which team should bid on the championship. This will help to ensure that there is a bid for each championship. The board also emphasized that if your YMCA is potentially interested in bidding, submit the bid. You can always change the bid or cancel the bid prior to the selection of meet hosts.
CHARLIE HARTLEY MEMORIAL SILVER CHAMPIONSHIP (CHMSC): The Hartley meet will be held on February 22, 2020 at the Gloucester County Institute of Technology in New Jersey.
OFFICIAL TRAINING: There are two different types of training:
- Classes taught by certified trainers for Level I, Level II, and Admin Official. These are Y-USA sanctioned training in order to certify officials.
- Clinics taught by PD board members are annual refresher clinics for Referees, Admin Officials, and Meet Manager Operators. An individual who wishes to serve in any of these roles at a PD meet, must attend a League refresh clinic annually in addition to maintaining the appropriate Y-USA official certifications. Note: Meet Managers do not have a corresponding Y-USA certification requirement
Scheduled official certification classes and PD annual clinics are listed on the front page of the PD website
- Actions to take by the PD Referees and other officials when observing a possible head injury are: EVALUATE any swimmer who may have sustained a head injury. NOTIFY the coach. DO NOT ALLOW THE SWIMMER TO CONTINUE SWIMMING if the swimmer shows any signs of a head injury
- The PD Board encourages all coaches and officials to take concussion training. This training is available from USA-S at no fee. For USA-S Officials, concussion training will be mandatory beginning 1/1/2020
- First rosters are due on 11/1/2019
- Parents may NOT protest (mini or full) a meet; only coaches are able to submit a protest request
LEAGUE CALENDAR: League calendar is on the front page of the PD web site
NATIONAL Y-USA: YMCA of the USA Team registration is due now. Coach registration is free until December 1. After that date, each coach who wants to register must pay a fee. All coaches (full time, part-time and volunteer) regardless if they plan to attend a championship should be Y-USA registered and maintain current credentials throughout the season.
YMCA PA District championships and dates were announced and are now on the PD Website
IMPORTANT REMINDER: The PD YMCA Swim League is not Pennsylvania YMCA Swimming, the Pennsylvania YMCA Swimming Committee, nor Y-USA Swimming. The PD League does not manage/control/govern Pennsylvania YMCA District Meets (West, Central and East) and does not manage/control/govern the Pennsylvania YMCA State Meet
ANNOUNCEMENT FROM LOU PETTO: Lou, who is the coach of the USA-S Paralympic team, encouraged all YMCAs and coaches to include and support swimmers with a disability. He offered to provide guidance or assistance to any YMCA that has questions or needs more information about supporting a disabled swimmer.
ADJOURNMENT: The Board thanked all meeting attendees